SEPANG: Sepang International Circuit (SIC) chief executive officer Datuk Razlan Razali has confirmed that a document seeking US$295,000 (RM1.24mil) compensation by Haas Formula One (F1) team from SIC which went viral on social sites today is fake.
The document claimed SIC had to pay Haas driver Romain Grosjean who got into an accident after his car hit a drain cover at the 13th corner during the second practice session on Friday, forcing the session to be called off 20 minutes earlier than scheduled.
“I can confirm that the document is fake after being informed officially by International Automobile Federation (FIA) this evening,” he told reporters here on Saturday.
Razlan said SIC did not plan to lodge a police report but wanted to focus on Sunday’s race, which would be the last Malaysian Grand Prix organised by SIC.
“Focus will be on the race finals. I hope Malaysians and racing fans will put the incident aside and turn out to witness the last F1 race at Sepang tomorrow,” he said. Meanwhile, Razlan said as of 5pm on Saturday, more than 70,000 tickets had been sold and he hoped the total number would meet the target of 80,000 tickets on race day. – Bernama